HGA is pleased to participate in the 2018 ASHE Annual Conference & Technical Exhibition, held July 15 – 18, 2018 in Seattle. Join Krista McDonald Biason, PE, during the following presentations:
Gender and Cultural Equity in Health Care PDC
Tuesday, July 17 from 9:45 – 10:45 a.m.
Training for technical careers is reflecting more diversity, but we are not seeing the same trend in the design and construction industry. This interactive session is part of a continued conversation about the current state of leadership.
The session will be lead by Krista McDonald Biason, PE. and joined by industry peers to help facilitate discussions, including:
- Leigh Harrison, HGA Director of Electrical Engineering
- Skanda Skandeverl, Division Director | Facilities Mgmt Planning Design & Construction, Nebraska & Fargo Division, Catholic Health Initiatives
- Kara Brooks, Sustainability Program Manager, ASHE
- Patrick Duke, Managing Director, CBRE | Healthcare
- Barbara Wagner, Sr. Vice President, Clark Construction Group
Training for technical careers is reflecting more diversity, but we are not seeing the same trend in the design and construction industry. This interactive session is part of a continuing conversation about the current state of leadership and succession planning. The diverse team of presenters will provide statistics and findings from surveys that have focused on equity issues in the Healthcare Facilities, Design, Management and Construction field. The facilitators will pose questions to the attendees in and will work in small breakout groups to brainstorm ideas and suggestions regarding these topics. The goal is to share experiences, concerns, and strategies for a diverse work force and how to engage the best and brightest talent.
- Review statistics of women and minorities in the construction, maintenance and design fields
- Discuss benefits and challenges to attain equity in leadership roles
- Engage attendees in select topics regarding workplace and succession planning challenges
- Report out to the group a summary of individual tabletop discussions to evaluate alignment
Microgrids in Healthcare – A Fad or the Future?
Tuesday, July 17 from 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Presented by: Krista McDonald Biason, PE, Associate Vice President, HGA; Kara Brooks, LEED AP BD & C, Sustainability Program Manager, ASHE/AHA; Philip Barton, Sr. Director N.A. Microgrid Competency Center, Schneider Electric
The term “microgrid” is a trending topic in energy distribution, and many interpretations have been proposed as to what a microgrid is and how it can be used. A sustainability expert, health care electrical engineer, and industry leader in smart grid technologies will facilitate a lively discussion about power sources and distribution methodology to push the limits of sustainability, resiliency, redundancy, energy efficiency, code compliance, and design in this session.
- Discuss sustainable options in health care facilities
- Identify the components that create a microgrid distribution
- Discover how current codes affect the requirements for an electrical distribution supported by a microgrid
- Participate in an interactive discussion regarding alternate power sources, microgrids, and health care facilities