Ramsey County Library, Maplewood
Local Library Designed For Flexibility
Composed of two rectangular architectural masses set horizontally on the site, the 31,000 SF Ramsey County Library-Maplewood includes an extended entry canopy that welcomes patrons into an engaging interior focused on a central lobby and reading porch overlooking the Maplewood Sculpture Garden. A colorful material palette enlivens the spatially functional spaces, from the intimate reading rooms to the soaring central stacks.
Staff workrooms are open and flexible to support effective material flow. Automated sorting equipment reduces repetitive tasks and improves ergonomics, allowing staff more time to assist patrons and streamlining the management of the County’s system-wide collection.Portfolio
Awards & Recognition
- 2009 Design-Build Institute of America-Upper Midwest Region Design-Build Award, Best Project-Public Sector Building
- 2009 IES/IIDA Section Energy and Environmental Award for Lighting Design
- 2008 IIDA Wisconsin Best of Competition Award
- 2008 American Library Association/IIDA Library Interiors Design Honor Award (national)
- 2007 AIA Minnesota Honor Award
The rhythm of the anodized-aluminum facade looks like books on a book shelf. I would have loved to have been dropped off here as a kid.